The Benefit Recruitment Process / My Experience.

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Hello everyone! Today I have some really exciting news to share with you all, which is that I am now officially working for Benefit Cosmetics! I am super happy with how my interviews and recruitment process went so I'm going to share the ins and outs with you all today just in case you're also applying or thinking about it. 

Now I actually didn't even apply for this job, but if you are directly applying then there are always plenty of vacancies on the Benefit careers website. So I bet you're wondering how I got an interview in the first place, well it was actually through Linked In. If you don't use Linked In, then I highly recommend it. Its kind of like Facebook for professionals. I posted a status/update saying that I was currently looking for a new career opportunity within the Beauty Industry. Later on that night I was emailed by a Manager in Benefits Head Office inviting me for an interview just two days later, you can image how excited I was. Now I know there are plenty of videos and blog posts already explaining how the interviews go but as mines more recent I thought I'd share it anyway.

I was told to come to Debenhams on Oxford Street, wearing all black and to meet her in the cafe on the top floor. I wore a little black smart/casual dress from H&M, with black tights, a Pull & Bear Black simple blazer and ankle black flat boots. I was also told to wear a full face of makeup so I went for my usual flawless base, a gold smokey eye using my Chocolate Bar Palette and I wore Mac's So Chaud on my lips. I tried to use a few Benefit products too, I used Hello Flawless liquid foundation, Hoola and Rockateur.

I showed up early and waited in the cafe before going over and sitting with her for the first stage of the interview process. I was asked very simple and easy to answer questions for example; 'How would your friends describe you in three words?'. Then it was simple things like my availability, where I live and currently work, It was thankfully very relaxed. I was then told I'd passed the first interview and to come back to the Benefit Counter in 10 minutes for the second stage. I was so nervous at this point cause I can be quite shy and I knew it would be approaching people, and at this point the store was getting busy with Christmas shoppers. I came back to find two other girls also waiting there as well. We were briefly walked around the counter, informed about their strict hygiene rules and talked through every product from skincare to makeup. Benefit are incredibly big on 'Traffic Stopping' so rather than letting the customers come to you, you must approach them and use the simple line 'Hi have you heard about Benefit before?' or 'Hi can I offer you a mini pamper with Benefit products today?'. The aim is to get as many customers back to the counter with you and sitting down.

I managed to get three ladies back in 15 minutes, which I was very proud of. I stuck to simple things like adding some blush, bronzer or highlighter, maybe putting some product in their brows or a simple colour on the lips. I felt very comfortable and made sure I was bubbly and chatty whilst with anyone, keeping the conversation flowing rather than staying awkwardly silent. When our time was up we all got called into a little room behind the counter one by one. The first girl went in and straight back out within seconds so I kind of gathered she didn't pass that stage. Next was me, I went in to collect my bag and was told that she was so pleased with how well I did and wanted me to meet one of the managers in the next room there and then. I felt so overwhelmed but so happy. I introduced myself to her and then was told I'd recieve a call soon inviting me to the final stage which is known as a 'Store Approval'. I then went and had a browse around Selfridges because why not!?

A couple days passed and I recieved a phone call from the other manager who works on that counter inviting me in for the 14th (yesterday) for my store approval. I wore the same outfit but with a leather jacket from Topshop as it was a lot colder outside but I still wanted to look smart. I arrived at the counter and was taken up to the cafe again for a chat with the lovely manager there. This interview was short, it must of lasted around 10 minutes. She was interested in my customer service experience and what I knew about Debenhams more so then Benefit on this occasion, making sure I was suitable for that store. I mentioned the Store Card and the Beauty Points Card which was exactly what they wanted to hear. I was asked the same question as before about describing myself in three words, I went for Positive, Bubbly and Organized. From there on it was talking about training, when I can start as well as the pay and discounts I'd receive. I was so thrilled with how it went.

Overall It was a great experience and I am pleased that I went through with it and have now come out with a job I've always wanted. Finally have my foot in the door of the beauty industry and I couldn't be happier. Its also a fresh start for me in the new year. I have a week and a bit left at my current job before I leave. If you have any questions at all or need any other advice if you're doing this yourself then feel free to ask. Thank you so much for reading. Talk soon xx

6 comments

  1. Congrats on getting the job! It was a really detailed post and I've definitely picked up some tips from it. I hope you enjoy your new job! I love benefit products and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun working there. Gweni xxx

    www.gbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! and I hope so, I can't wait :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I normally don't read posts like this but I was glued to this one - it's so well written and really interested to read what goes on!

    Jodie @ Jodetopia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! and aw thats good I thought I rambled for too long aha x

      Delete
  3. I had a telephone interview yesterday and was told straight after that I had gotten on to the next stage, an interview in person at benefit. I was also told to wear all black as I would possibly be doing an audition in the afternoon. I've just had my interview and was told I would get an email and that the audition is not necessarily the same day as the interview. I have a horrible feeling that this means I haven't been successful as most blog posts I have read indicate you find out straight after the interview if your through to the audition stage.

    ReplyDelete